Saturday, December 29, 2007

Spinach bars

The Recipe:

3 eggs
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup skim milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 boxes frozen chopped spinach (10 oz. each), defrosted, squeezed dry
1 lb. Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
1 small onion, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk eggs, milk, salt, baking powder, flour and several grinds of pepper in very large bowl. Add onions, spinach and cheese; mix well with a rubber spatula.

Spray a 9x13" glass baking dish with pan spray. Spread spinach mixture into it. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is a nice shade of golden brown. Let cool for a minimum of 10 minutes before considering cutting. (I usually cut into 48 squares.)

The Story:

I had something quite like these at an office party many years ago. When I saw the recipe, I was appalled at the amount of butter and fat in it. This version, while still a little heavy with all that cheese, is much lighter. (Really, it is!) You can certainly use low-fat cheese too.

Whenever I make these, they're a hit. They're good hot, warm, or cold out of the fridge. I often wrap 2 or 3 for the kids' lunch bags.

No comments: